Wednesday 28 January 2015

Growing Younger



There are small vases of snowdrops on the tables in a Methodist Church Hall in Weston Super Mare, where we are tucking  into a buffet feast after the funeral service celebrating the long and good life of my 101 year old aunty.

My husband looks around the room and says,

There are old people here and medium people and children and babies.

Talking to one of my cousins later I realise that once your parents and their generation have passed, you get promoted  - you become the old people in your clan - the grey haired ones ( albeit still wearing jeans) - the end of the line. Luckily how you feel may not have anything to do with how many years you've lived. I still feel like one of the  medium people - but with a husband who is growing younger.....into  a child....but in retreat from the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment