Thursday 24 January 2019

"Pay Attention. Be Astonished.Tell About it....Instructions for Living a Life" by Mary Oliver.



 I was thinking about the poet, Mary Oliver, the other day while I was walking, and her 

Instructions for living a life - 


Pay attention.

Be astonished.


Tell about it.

It makes me more observant in a seemingly dull winter landscape,

more focused on what is in front of me on the path, in the hedgerow,

looking for marvellous detail

and  rare  colour

which,  lost in worrisome thoughts, I might have missed,

like these lichens growing out of  the gate posts,

the bronze stream of mud under my boots,

the blessing of an angel feather,

and a tangle of plastic string caught up in a barbed wire fence.


And I'm always astonished at the magnificence of the sky... and how it is never ever the same, even though I watch it... and take photos of it from the same spot in the field...high above the village...  the same walk I take every time.

But it is the telling about it...the showing of it...the sharing of it ...it's that which transforms it...makes me pay more attention...makes me more astonished...keeps me connected to the wonder of it all.... and keeps me connected to myself ....and to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment