Thursday 12 July 2018

Packing Up




Packing Up

Clearing out the kitchen cupboards,
 it's easy to throw away jars of chilli powder and nutmegs
past their sell-by dates.
Easy to donate five of the eight  pyrex mixing bowls 
to the charity shop.
It's harder to open Robin's filing cabinet
where I have been keeping all his things -
 hairbrush, wallet, bedside drawer bits and pieces
imbued with his presence.
Impossible to handle the shoe box stuffed full of the cards and letters
of condolence
of love
written to me after he died
without being 
sliced to the floor
with sorrow.

Packing up halted
till I can remember
why I'm doing this.....

To step out of our life that is 
forever over
into
mine that is
 just beginning.

Taking the cards and the letters
and the love
with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment