Monday 21 January 2019

Wolf Blood Moon


Saturday evening, about 4.30, coming back from a walk I find the moon is hanging over my garden

 a silver white football....

which shone all night so brightly I thought I'd left all the lights on outside.

 Early Sunday evening I thought I might be lucky to see the lunar eclipse as the moon had risen high above the clouds over my back garden. I went to bed late and set my alarm for 2.45 am first checking where the moon would be, and I found it had moved to the front of the house. I could see it easily from the landing window.

2.45 I got up and was disappointed to see that the moon looked exactly the same silver white and it was half obscured by wispy clouds.

When I came back a bit later about 3.15 and opened the window wide, the sky was clear velvet black, not a  cloud in sight, and a pale red tinge had started to stain the base of the moon which was   
surrounded by a crystal pincushion of stars. Unfortunately they haven't come out at all in the photos.
It was the most magical and breathtaking sight ...watching the  coppery red stain slowly slowly spread over the  whole surface. I kept taking photos, with both my cameras, not sure if any were coming out, changing the settings all the time, hoping one would work as I've had absolutely zilch success in taking photos of the full moon in the past.
Downloading them later I found I had pressed the video record at one point and I have a short wavering  clip of the carpet on the stairs and me muttering to myself about the camera settings, completely unaware I was recording myself. A bit sad really.

My almanac said the full eclipse would be at 5.12am. And it was.
A whole glowing red, dark mottled football, hanging in the total silence of the deep night. I could hardly believe I was witnessing such an amazing and rare phenomenon. The newspapers call it  a super wolf blood moon.

I've since read on the internet how people all over the world travelled in freezing conditions to find a place to view the lunar eclipse and some missed it completely because of cloud cover or bad weather.

And I was lucky enough to witness it in a small corner of Mid Devon, in my own house from the top of my stairs, through the open landing window. I did get freezing cold and when it was over I had to make a cup of tea and take it back to bed but I couldn't sleep for ages.
I still feel in the impact of it ...as if the red tinged beauty of those moments has somehow entered my blood and marked me too. Me and those wolves.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Belinda....I've tried to reply several times but it won't let me! Random and frustrating. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Trish you have caught it so beautifully! I was looking at the Moon whilst it turned slowly orange ...Red .. A Blood orange moon then ! What ever you say about your camera work ..You catch some wonderful moments in nature and it is a pleasure to see them on your blog .. I joined a world meditation as the eclipse happened ~ not surprised that you could't sleep it was such a powerful energy~ Xx

    ReplyDelete