Monday 14 January 2019

The Great Spotted Woodpecker....and one thing I'm certain...

A  Great Spotted Woodpecker came visiting on Sunday....when I had my camera to hand...
and again today. I was so  thrilled to spot him


climbing up the post of the bird feeder...

which is already full of holes....and makes me wonder if they were made by  him 

in previous years.


And now to correct a few mis-identifications that I made in the last blog post...mistakes which I'm sure you have already spotted. ...these are house sparrows...

male and 

female and

this is a dunnock...not a sparrow.

These are all chaffinches..

male chaffinches not
female.. and this is 
a female chaffinch not a female sparrow.
This and the one below are both great tits...

not coal tits as I said.

One thing I'm certain of is this is a blue tit....

and Edward could be his slightly scruffier cousin....

and Robin will always live in my heart.

On Saturday my sister and I took green cuttings from our gardens to our parents' grave....

remembering our father on the anniversary of his passing in 2012.
Another thing to be sure of - time will pass....it's just up to me what companion I choose to  pass the hours with.... with fear or with kindfulness.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.

- Winston Churchill -



If you look carefully you can see the whole of the back of my house reflected in his eye...
an inadvertent house selfie...








3 comments:

  1. Extraordinary reflection in the squirrel's eye.
    Might the woodpecker be a female (as she has no red on her head)???
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes you are right - thank you - she is definitely female ..how very observant of you ...my bird book which I have just dug out from an unpacked box makes it very clear and I didn't even notice! I have so much to learn! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so do I (have so much to learn)! Bx

    (I thought I'd already made this comment but can't find. it. Sorry if I've done it twice.)

    ReplyDelete