Monday 9 May 2016

Scary


I started this earlier.....but  had a crisis....just come off the phone to a paramedic who says I don't need to take Robin to A&E tonight. He had a scary choking, coughing fit eating a biscuit  - and peed on the floor. All that coughing I suppose.  I was upstairs again and heard him. He's sleeping now.

Earlier I rang NHS 111 and the nurse said he should go to A&E to be checked over there is no damage. I couldn't face 3 hours waiting at 11.30pm at  night and asked for someone to come out.  I don't think they do that anymore - home visits. He didn't like it that I wouldn't go to A&E but said a paramedic or doctor would ring me back.

She was nice and said keep an eye out for a temperature in the next few days. If he inhaled some biscuit it could lead to a chest infection or pneumonia. This is what we've been warned about with MND. But if he was resting and breathing normally now there was nothing else to do.

Earlier today the lovely Speech and Language therapist rang. I said Robin had had a coughing choking episode  a week ago. She said really he should go on a soft diet. So all day I've given him mushy food but still made it taste nice.  Avocado Guacamole and egg mayo  for lunch and tonight mashed up sweet potato and finely chopped chard. Maybe the cheesy oat slice he had with it was a bit hard. 

But  then I forgot about the biscuits tonight - ginger nuts.  He probably shouldn't eat alone any more.

I think this swallowing/breathing thing is going to be the hardest thing to face. More than stairlifts and hospital beds.  Not sure I'll sleep much tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment