Wednesday 5 August 2015

Life Saver


























At Lytes Cary Manor  ( National Trust of course) in Somerset on Sunday. A high summer day... the corn rustling ripe....the teasels moulting....the bees feasting. And running through my head all day the lines from the song, Fields of Gold, sung by Eva Cassidy.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
among the fields of barley.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
when we walked in fields of gold.

 Later I poached these apricots in the oven with pink elderflower cordial left over from the wedding.   I can't stop buying all this soft summer fruit - nectarines, peaches and plums - but we can't eat it quickly enough so I have to cook it. This is a winning combination - the sharpness of the apricots melting into the sweet fragrance of the elderflower syrup - even better than the Madiera and cinnamon  in the recipe.


I spent today in the company of some dear luscious women at a Spa Hotel in Somerset being pampered and nurtured, steamed, saunaed, jucuzzied and lunched in beautiful surroundings....letting my weariness, my deep muscle tiredness melt away for a little while.

Reminding me that this type of kindness to myself isn't only a luxury now - more like a life saver - necessary as breathing.




No comments:

Post a Comment