Thursday 17 July 2014

Heat and Pain



Too hot to eat lunch in the garden today....



too hot to cook.....




except to bung some olive oil-drenched tomatoes and garlic, thyme and basil into the oven.



I love this heat.....my friend says she imagines me being a lizard on my favourite wall. My favourite wall this afternoon is actually the sofa with a book, keeping out of the sun.  But as soon as I sit down my eyes close....and I don't smell my tomato quarters, fragrant with garlic and balsamic vinegar, burning in the oven.

I scrape the very charred mess into a bowl - some of the tomatoes are still recognisable, still edible - but only by my husband who likes anything a bit charcoled. I'm so disappointed  - I bought them in the organic farmers' market this morning and imagined them for supper, loaded onto to a slice of sour dough toast like my friend cooked them for us the other day - all juicy and sticky and salty sweet. Not to be.

Tonight I can't stop thinking about the family, the friends of the 298 people who died in the plane crash in the air above Eastern Ukraine this evening.....can't imagine that kind of pain.....



No comments:

Post a Comment