Thursday 14 January 2016

What Will Be The Catalyst?


























 From my archives - A visit to the  tropical hot houses at The Eden Project with my sisters in April 2010.

It's so cold tonight I want to go to bed in my clothes. But I won't.

As I wash up this evening I suck two squares of dark chocolate - try and make them last till the final saucepan is clean.  It's a strategy to help me get over the fact that the washing up is back in my life. For ages now Robin has been doing it every night without complaint. For which I've been very grateful. But now he can't hold or lift a plate or a cup and certainly not a saucepan.

So I use the time with my hands in the suds to think about what to write in my blog.  But no inspiration comes tonight.  What I am inspired by is Samantha Reynold's poem about writing poetry. My second secret desire, next to wanting to photograph a kingfisher, is to write poetry like she does or a least follow her brilliant advice to write my own.

  But then I'd have to be still long enough  to let the  words pick themselves.....and as every day is exactly like today, when I  seamlessly, relentlessly pack it to the gunnels with stuff to do.....I wonder what will be the catalyst to make me change my vows of busyness.

View this email in your browser

The secret to writing poems


It is not about rhythm
or being particularly deep

it’s not about rhyming
obviously

it’s not even about
the words you pick
and if you’re still
long enough
you will feel
them pick themselves

it’s just a staring contest
between you and life

it’s about getting past
the itch to write
and waiting out
the familiar

poetry is not a skill
it is a vow
to hunt for the view
that is new.


No comments:

Post a Comment