Friday 15 January 2016

The Residue of Today


This morning - shredded plastic bag caught in top branches of neighbours' apple tree. It's been there for ages - a dangerous to wildlife eyesore.


The pigeon doesn't care about it but I do. I want them to release it  - it could be toxic...
 

The last fallen apple in our tree - even too wizened for the birds to peck at.


Honeysuckle in the hedge.... still flowering in January.


The view from my study window this evening - such a short cold clear day.

As it's already tomorrow I only have the residue of today.....

Gratitude for the kindness of the friend who comes to look at the leaking  plastic roof and give me advice about what to do next.

Gratitude for my brother-in-law who comes to take Robin out.

Rising annoyance about waiting 45 minutes at the hospital for Robin's pre-op interview for his colonoscopy next week....keeping him occupied....looking at houses for sale in Devon Life Magazine.

Sinking heart reading the diet sheet he has to follow 3 days before the op - no fruit or vegetables or brown bread.....but white pasta and boiled sweets allowed.

Relief when I decide not to make a red cabbage coleslaw for supper as it's too cold for salad and cook all the ingredients instead - turn them into a hot sweet and sour stew - spiced  with pomegranate molasses and cumin which goes perfectly with the Cheese and Nut Oat Slice I bought in the market deli..... and green beans from Kenya.

And a seam of sadness slicing through me all evening..... feel bereft of my companion to plan the future with.....no future I want to contemplate anyway.

So I just take thoughts of tomorrow to bed with me....we  may go South in search of snow falling on the high ground or find a steamy cafe for fish and chips....and I'll put away the residue of grief for another day.






No comments:

Post a Comment