Tuesday 15 December 2015

Swallowing And Keeping It Simple


Exmouth on Sunday.

This morning my sister helps me make some order out of the chaos of my mile high in-trays.  One of the files we create is Do It In 2016. The things that don't have to be done before Christmas. I put a note in there to myself - Don't worry about Robin's diagnosis. It's out of my hands anyway.

One of the things that goes on the Do Before Christmas list is  buy new house phones.  Both handsets die in the middle of a crucial conversation to our financial advisor about what we are going to live on next year. Thank goodness for the iPhone and the non-hands free phone in the study.

This afternoon the Speech and Language Therapist comes to assess Robin's swallowing. She looks inside his mouth, puts her fingers against his throat while he eats a biscuit, drinks out of a glass. She suggests he doesn't drink with a straw which he's started to do as it's hard for him to lift a cup to his lips without it spilling. She advises half filled cups and taking small sips.

She says there is some irregularity or imbalance with his swallowing.  And to keep a coughing-while-eating diary because if small amounts of food get in the lungs it can cause chest infection. 

I say I've noticed a change in his speech, not finishing words, slurring a bit. She says he sounds normal to her but she'll let the neurologist know her findings. Which could bring us closer to a diagnosis.

This evening I write my first Christmas card. I'm not sending many -  just to the aunties who don't have emails. It all feels unreal  - Christmas spiralling out of control around me - my usual preparations gone haywire.

 For the first time ever I haven't made a Christmas cake. Not the rich dark one, solid with fruits and nuts, wrapped in foil and fed with brandy every week. I will make a lighter version though  - on Christmas eve -  as I won't be hanging the cards or decorating the mantlepieces with ivy and yew. Keeping it simple this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment