Thursday 17 December 2015

Gifts









The thank-you cake( Chocolate Almond and Orange) I made  for Robin to take to The Mede today. It's  the wonderful place where he spends the day in the company of a group of older people, mostly men, all with varying degrees of dementia. He also has his own one to one support person - a lovely woman who goes out with him, or does other things with him when he can't manage/ understand/gets bored with whatever activities  the group is doing.

She says he's a pleasure to be with. And no-one seems to mind when he kisses everyone goodbye - even the men - often on the tops of their  heads. In fact they seem to like it - it always makes them smile.

When everything else is taken away there is just love revealed.  Robin's gift, out of all the horribleness of his disease, is the way he's being of service to me, caring for me - showing me to myself - not the way I would have wanted -  but all the same I'm learning more and more about this giving and receiving thing. 

Robin says he wants me to be happy.....so maybe the greatest gift I can give him is my own happiness. Which would mean loving and letting go at the same time. A whole new practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment