Thursday 2 July 2015

My In-Between Hours and Being in a Hurry


New Zealand


New Zealand



Devon


Portugal





South Africa



South Africa

Photos from the archives - it rained a lot today.

This morning, when I'm leaving the house earlier than usual to go to the farmers' market, our neighbour across the road is walking her children to school. 
This afternoon when I'm getting in the car to go and collect Robin from The Mede Care Centre she is bringing them back. I imagine the envelope of her day - defined by the school run and her hours in-between without them.

I was so grateful for my hours in-between today.  Grateful there is such a warm and caring and stimulating place for Robin to be. Grateful I can pay for it.
When I arrive to collect him they are outside playing a game of croquet on the grass or watching it - the elderly gentlemen and the lovely staff, all together in the sunshine.

In the car going home Robin says he didn't understand any of the conversations, or the topic of the talk by the woman visitor, he can't tell me what he had for lunch or the name of the game he just played. But I can tell from the feel of him that he had enjoyed some of the day. And for the moment some is enough.

I was late for my meditation group tonight as I was enthralled by a tennis match I'd started to watch on TV.  But actually I felt so sad to see the great Rafael Nadal be beaten by the fast and furious Mr Brown -  his trademark long dread-locks flying behind him like a whirlwind of tails.

 In the street near our friends' house I parked my new ( actually 5 years old) dinky Honda Jazz in a hurry - my instinct was to move it but I didn't want to be any later than I was. Turned out I was right. This note was stuck on the windscreen when I came back.

Dear Driver - you have parked selfishly blocking both the pavement and the road.

There was no-one to say sorry to. So I forgave myself instead - grateful I'd escaped worse wrath or damage. Grateful I've got another chance to park safely next time..... to trust my instinct....... and a reminder of the price of being in a hurry.



No comments:

Post a Comment