Wednesday 29 July 2015

Message From A Friend


 Last week I wondered if this young black bird under our apple tree had stunned himself,



or was in trouble of some kind....injured..... he seemed distressed.  But after a while he flew away. 



The blue tits on the peanut feeder in the apple tree this morning,


a blur of wings


having breakfast before 



Tiger, the next door's pussy cat, has his. Only in his dreams though as they are lightening fast.

The birds stay out of the way most of the day as our lovely gardener mends the fences and the broken trellis and cuts back more jungle of wisteria and honeysuckle - making the garden feel lighter, bigger.

I spend most of the day in the kitchen cooking, baking birthday goodies, and for a while playing  cards - Solitare -  with Robin before someone comes to collect him for his walking (ish) group outing.

 At the allotment this evening I'm crouched down in the netted fruit cage stripping fat black currants from the low branches of the bushes, when I hear a rustling movement on the ground by my feet.  It's a small bird with beautiful feather markings - brown and gold. I stay very still. I wonder if it's a female robin. She hops closer, completely unafraid and cocks her head at me.

It's only a few seconds but I'm completely blown away by her total trust and friendliness. I imagine I can feel her good will for me. As if she's saying,

Don't be lonely. You aren't alone. 
There is a big world out here. And it's safe to come out.

Then she hops off into the grass.....message delivered.....back to worm hunting. And I cry a little  into my punnet of fragrant black currants. I didn't think I was lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment