Monday 16 February 2015

Valentine's Spikes


 Spikes everywhere on Valentine's Day - we spend it at Tyntesfield House - a Victorian National Trust property outside Bristol.  When I read the history of the house to my husband he thinks it's very amusing that the family who owned it made their money selling South American guano  - or bird poo to him.




 The spikes of a monkey Puzzle tree in the grounds.....



the same colour as this lime in the glass orangerie.


 The barn door was open on these forks and spades in a row in





 the walled vegetable garden...these espaliered fruit trees like painted ghostly skeletons on the warm bricks.


Gold cock weather vane..... more spikes....


has the best view above the jumble of roof tops of the house and the chapel.


My first snowdrop photos this year....


 fresh white clumps, adorning the steep banks in the garden at Tyntesfield.


Our Valentine's supper -  we were going to make it together but my husband was too knackered after long drive back down the M5 on the first day of half term. He was triggered -  in an emotional turmoil all the way -  by ambulances and accidents and incidents and road works and the music on the radio. I was triggered by his responses - exhausting myself with irritation - imagining he could be some other way - letting the spikes of it all get under my skin - forgetting he's at the effect of his puzzling disease - forgetting to be kind to myself.


 Back home I made two pizzas - so easy with a scone base - this is the veggie version for me ....the same as my husband's but without the Chorizo sausage. While he slept I sat on a high stool at the cooker, reading the Saturday Guardian and stirring a pot of rice pudding like a sweet creamy risotto - soothing away all the sharp, raw edges of the day......




 remembering Valentine's night last year at Lake Tekapo, NZ........when I wanted to stay outside after our restaurant supper and watch the moon rising but my husband wanted to leave.







No comments:

Post a Comment