Thursday 19 February 2015

My Cookathon








Just before I sliced into this chestnut mushroom I noticed how beautiful it was - its little while collar like the petals of a flower,  a ruff round its neck - the  lapping pattern of it repeated all round the warm brown skin covering the soft bulb of its body.

I've been cooking all afternoon, the rain thundering on the plastic roof, and well into the night. I say cooking but that's only a very small part of all the hours I spend in the kitchen.....it's the clearing up and the dealing with the unexpected things that go awry that takes the time too. Like when the butter that I'd smeared around the inside of the two loose bottomed cake tins containing the Polenta Almond Shortbread, dripped onto the bottom of the oven and created acrid smoke and that awful burned fat aroma seeping into everything. It's not as if I didn't know that would happen....just forgot somehow.

And I didn't even have to wash up as my wonderful husband is doing it now.....the whole  jumbled mountain  of it.

My cookathon is for tomorrow  - making lunch to take to my husband's family in Surrey ( the mushrooms for pizza toppings).....staying overnight with friends..... we are going away next week too ....up to Sheffield for my Uncle's funeral, so this will be the last blog for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment