Thursday 5 June 2014

On The Ice



Franz Joseph Glacier, retreating - New Zealand.... 



On Fox Glacier, NZ....



Slipping down a fissure..


Steps in the ice.....


A bridge too far...



On a knife edge...


Ice cave...


 When we were in New Zealand in February we spent an afternoon on a tour of this glacier with a guide who cut the steps for us with an ice pick. We wore borrowed boots, strapped on crampons and followed him around the ice field getting colder and colder.

Today I shopped for wrapping paper and little gem lettuces ..... I took tea and comfort on the sofa of a friend..... I sat with my husband  over plates of salad leaves, hummus and walnuts.... he told me about his morning with our Age UK angel.....I fried green onions and garlic and ginger for the nut roast.....I rolled out pastry for the tart cases....too thin in some places, too thick in others.....I whipped up cream and vanilla and sweetened condensed milk for the ice cream.....I dead headed the geraniums on the patio when the sun came out briefly.

And all this time I have a feeling of being on a knife edge...in danger of slipping into a fissure I can't see yet....all these changes with my husband forcing me to face what's coming .....when all I want to do is scream,

  No, stop, wait, it's too soon .....I'm not ready.

 Thank goodness for all the dear angels and guides surrounding me .....helping me cut the next step into the ice....leading me out of the cave of my fear...gently, softly, kindly.


No comments:

Post a Comment