Thursday 2 May 2013

This Was My Thursday


Cherry blossom on the way back from the polling station...

Make our green smoothie for breakfast - cleaning the machine takes longer than juicing the spinach and cucumber, lime and carrots....but it helps me to do the same thing every morning until I wake up properly and start calming the panic in my head....

Buy lots of green veggies in the farmers’ market and huge organic eggs.

Stop off at the health food shop on the way home and stock up with linseeds and tahini and dried figs  - my husband’s biscuit substitute.

Take the car to be cleaned inside and out by a hive of young men in blue T- shirts with  power hoses and suds and not much English. 

While they are sprucing it up I walk into town and buy a magnetic tax disc holder at Halfords as my old one keeps falling off the windscreen. And I go into a shop I haven’t been into before - The International Stores -  selling wonderful exotic stuff from India and the Middle East, with Arabic/Turkish music playing. I buy a box of fresh dates from Iran - much cheaper than in Sainsbury’s.

Love my clean lemon scented car - all for £13 - thank you young foreign men.

Hang the second load of washing out in the sunshine - and run out of pegs.

My husband comes back happy from his walk by the river with the lovely woman from Age UK - his regular Thursday 3 hours with her. She says they have spotted a bird of prey called a Hobby. It makes me happy when he’s enjoyed himself.

We walk 2 minutes down the road to the polling station in the church and put a cross next to a name on the ballot paper. I vote for the Green Party because our neighbour is the candidate and I like him.

We divert to the allotment and while I pick two more asparagus spears and a bunch of spinach my husband fills the watering cans and gives the broad beans a drink.

Lunch is smoked mackerel salad on the patio with suncream on my nose. My husband already has a lovely suntanned face - I hate having to be so careful of my skin in the sun now.

Afternoon at my desk - emails and arrangements about our NZ trip and organising times for my husband’s wonderful support team. I order a keyboard and cover for the ipad I bought ages ago and got totally daunted about how to use it.

I was going to walk to my chiropractic appointment but run out of time. She pummels my back with a buzzing machine - it’s especially sore in the muscles I’ve been using to yank up weeds and ivy.

Just time to water the garden - especially the  dry tulip pots -  and bring in the washing and eat an oat cake with hummus before we leave for our Deeksha meditaton group with a big bag of deep ruby red rhubarb stalks to give away.

Wonderful to sit down and be still and be bathed in the sounds of the sitar and beautiful Indian voices, the evening sun and the loving warmth of our friends pouring into the room.

Back home I watch the final of MasterChef while my husband cooks us poached eggs and his marvellous asparagus and brings it to me on a tray so I don’t miss any chefy details. The finalist all create extraordinary plates of food. But I knew all along who would win - not just because  their food tasted and looked fabulous but you could tell it was cooked with love ....and I love being right.

No blogs for a few day as I’m away in Birmingham with my sisters and few hundred other people at The Course in Miracles Conference.....





No comments:

Post a Comment