Tuesday 26 February 2013

Slice by Slice



Two wide damp marks on the green stair carpet
brown splashes, drips, on the primrose yellow wall,
I stop in my tracks, rushing up the stairs.
How long have they been there?
Since yesterday?

What happened? I call to my husband 
who is still in bed.
What did you spill?

Oh it’s just tea.

But why didn’t you clean it up?
Or tell me?
Tea stains you know.

Oh does it? Sorry.

And while I scrub at the marks and wipe down the walls
like a mad person 
as if I cared so much about my carpets
even more than my husband,
my heart is in bad angry splinters.
Because he doesn’t know that tea stains?
Because he would have known what to do? 
Before.

No.
Because I keep hiding behind my plate glass wall
pretending everything is normal.

Because it’s such a little thing
with such a long jagged blade 
cutting into the years 
that are coming.
Slice by slice.



2 comments: