Sunday 17 February 2013

Ginger, Snowdrop, Fireworks


Teaspoon technique....



the harder part -  grating it....


the easy bit - slicing it, soft in syrup.


Sun going down last night 


on my only snowdrop.... 


clouds on fire in the back garden ..




the poplar tree before...


during ....


and after the fireworks next door.

 Passed on to me from a dear friend - a hot tip - how to peel off the tender thin skin of a fresh ginger root. Use the tip of a teaspoon turned upside down. Scrape gently and you don’t lose any flesh at all.

The skin of a Crown Prince Squash  - hard as Parmesan rind -  can knacker your potato peeler, so best to cut in quarters with your biggest knife, scoop out the seeds and roast till tender. The skin slips off easily then - soft as peaches.

As I couldn’t decide on lemon or ginger for the birthday cake - I compromised with the recipe for my Three Ginger Ginger Bread ( powdered, grated fresh, chopped stem in syrup) and layered and smothered it in a cream cheese and muscovado frosting (inspired by Ottolenghi) sharpened with half a jar of lemon curd.

Hot and sweet, tender and sharp -  like my weekend...


No comments:

Post a Comment