Friday 15 February 2013

Cakes To Keep Me Here


Baked for me by a dear friend...


one I baked for a dear friend....


my Christmas cake last year...


my nephew's cheesecake for our 25th Wedding anniversary...



honey and walnut tart from the farmer's market, Cognac, France.

15th February 2013

When I get stuck, like I am now, and overwhelmed by what I think I could be doing like de-frosting the freezer ....... or when I scare my self by imagining a future when I can’t use my fingers because they are bent with arthritis..... or my husband doesn’t recognise me......and social services have taken all the money for his care....
then I make myself think about what to make for supper.... or the next birthday cake ....or I read recipes books and look at photos of food in faraway places and open the fridge and start chopping onions.....

and then there will be lots of washing up to do which is much easier and more urgent than  dusting the house plants.....

Silky aubergines and chestnut mushrooms cooked in coconut oil and stirred into sticky brown rice with seaweed green chard help me come home to myself tonight. And trying to choose between lemon or ginger cake to bake tomorrow is keeping my mind in the kitchen and not in an old people’s home.....


No comments:

Post a Comment