Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Eve

24th December 2011 Saturday


The dawn sky is beautiful - almost blue, streaked with coral and flame.


A dear friend calls - reminds me how much l am loved and if I could only feel this love and let it in I wouldn’t be so sad. I’m afraid feeling sorry for myself is leaking into my blog and I’m in danger of bleating - seeing my glass as half empty instead of half full.


My day has been all about Florentines - little sticky piles of cherries and almonds, orange peel and cranberries spreading into tiny lacy lakes in the oven.... waiting for them to cool.... spreading melted chocolate - dark and white - on their bases....nestling them into red napkins - making them into Christmas presents for my family.....amazed how long it takes me.


At half past five we are standing outside the Cathedral in a long queue for the carol concert - the wind like stinging icicles on my face. When the man in the black robes shouts out that it is standing room only we hang on a for a while, stamping our feet in the cold and then give up and go home.


My husband re-heats last night’s left-overs for supper while I fiddle about with the Florentines and this time I am truly grateful - and feel his love, like the sunrise, in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment