Wednesday 30 March 2011

Powers

Wednesday 30th March


Day 343


We are having breakfast in The Real Food Store, open for the first time today. Upstairs in the cafe the walls and napkins are lime green and the lamp shades are scarlet. It’s light and airy and friendly. Our hot toast - rye bread baked by Emma - with ramekins of strawberry compote and butter is delicious. We bought a few shares in this store so I feel as if belongs to us - I want it to do well.


As we are leaving with bags of green veggies my phone rings. It’s the solicitor I spoke to yesterday about arranging Power of Attorney. As we are in walking distance of his office he says why don’t you come in half an hour. My husband agrees but he looks miserable. On the way we stop in Marks and Spencer’s and buy him his birthday present from me - shoes and slippers. I love it that he chooses the first pairs he tries on.


At the solicitor’s we sit at a huge round table. It feels like a vast polished sea between us. The solicitor talks fast as I tell him our car parking is running out. We like him. We look at each other across the waves.


‘Shall we do it?’ I say. My husband nods.


The solicitor says he needs to see my husband on his own to assess his competence. My husband is called the donor and I am called the attorney. The powers are for property and finance and for health and welfare. I walk back to the car to put more money in the machine, buying us time. To fill out forms.


I wish it was as easy to make time stand still. I’d give anything in the world for that power.


No comments:

Post a Comment