Wednesday 9 March 2011

Green Spring Breakfast

Wednesday 9th March


Day 322


Last month I couldn’t contemplate the icy coldness of a green smoothie for breakfast. I wanted tongue burning porridge, creamy with tahini and swollen raisins, or thick wholemeal toast smeared with butter and bitter marmalade, or even sweet ripe pears, walnuts and hot coffee. Keeping winter close to my ribs.


However, for the last few days I’ve slipped between the veil of two seasons and now look forward to my tall morning glass of bright green juice - zinging with raw goodness. It keeps me going till lunchtime and luckily my husband is also a convert.The juicer makes a terrible noise whirring out the vitamins from two apples and a carrot, half a peeled lime, a fat finger of ginger, a wedge of pineapple and a bouncy bunch of spring kale. But when you pour all that into the blender with an ice cube, a chunk of banana and a quarter avocado you end up with a luscious zingy nectar you could almost eat with a spoon.


Turn the radio news off and drink slowly right to the bottom of the glass. Make sure you check your top lip though - you don’t want to leave the house with a luminous green moustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment