Monday 1 June 2015

Cornwall and Chocolate Cake



































Robin says he wants to go to Cornwall so on Saturday we drive an hour and  half to Cotehele House which is only just beyond Plymouth at Saltash but still it satisfies his request. Last time we came here - last July -  he got lost taking the picnic basket back to the car park  and I couldn't find him so this time we do it together. ....after our woodland walk down to the river and our windy picnic in a field watching house martins( or swallows )  swoop down on a grey-headed crow foraging in the grass by our table.

Today it's all blustery wind and on and off rain....cold enough to put the heating on this evening -  1st of June. I think at least it's good for the garden and the allotment...but not if you are sleeping rough on the streets.

Robin is doing his wonderful washing up job....I must go and wrap up the chocolate cake I made this afternoon for my beloved great nephew's 4th birthday tomorrow - it should be cool by now. I made one yesterday but decided it was too rich and dense ( Nigella's Damp Chocolate cake) and needed a more child friendly version. I chose a recipe I haven't made before from a lovely book called Tea With Bea -  a Buttermilk Chocolate Cake.....still looks quite dark but I'll sweeten it up with butter icing tomorrow and hope he likes it.

 It would be better if it was in the shape of a Thunderbirds Rocket but that is quite beyond my great aunty remit.

2 comments:

  1. Tell him it's a new, even more secret rocket, called Thunderbird 6- the update for thunderbird 5 (the space station), so it doesn't need to be streamlined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sage - if I knew what that meant I'd be sure to tell him - but I think he might suss me out pretty quickly being as bright as he is! x

    ReplyDelete