Tuesday 3 August 2010

Japanese Exchange

Tuesday 3rd August


Day 104


Our Japanese friend, who visits us every year, says that she shows photos she has taken of our garden to her university students to illustrate what a terraced house is like. A foreign concept in Japan. I love it - that our small summer garden with its apple tree and hanging baskets of begonias has found its way to the other side of the world - a teaching tool.


She also says that my Teriyaki salmon lunch is better than ones she has eaten in Tokyo. She brings me Japanese biscuits and a delicate bookmark with dangling cherry blossom flowers woven in silk. I give her two jars - allotment strawberry jam and my husband’s garlic and apple chutney.


We met because my father, finding her alone at a church meeting, singled her out to talk to. Discovering she was studying in Exeter he said,


‘Oh, one of my daughters lives in Exeter. She will invite you to supper and we will play scrabble to improve your English vocabulary.’


I’m so glad he did. Although her English is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment