Wednesday 1 March 2017

You Need You


It's been dawning on me
a fact 
sharp and clear in the
mistiness 
 of how everything is
different now,

that no-one needs me.

 Not a husband 
to hold
in the
dark
or
a soft furry
creature 
with hungry 
eyes
to feed.

Or a parent
or a child.
A friend
or a 
stranger.


I don't mean I'm not
loved
or appreciated
or that 
I wouldn't be missed 
or anything like that.

Just that 
no one is 
depending on me
to be there.

So that I must 
keep my word 
to them.

So that I must 
rise 
every morning
to feel
it's 
worth 
it.

Because no-one else
but me
would do.

Like I used 
to feel.



But, 
my friend says,
You 
need
you.

When I think about that
I imagine 
the 
neglected
little girl 
inside me.

The one with
the hungry eyes
who 
craves
attention and
time and
love.



And then I see
that I am 
the only one
who can 
give 
it to her.

Wholeheartedly.

Not to do so
would be to
abandon
her.

She has waited long enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment