Tuesday 23 December 2014

A Sad Fish Pie



A friend sent me this in an email today - a quote from Henry David Thoreau.

What lies before us and what lies beyond us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

I want to think that what lies within me is access to a Self that is full of love and compassion and beyond the pettiness and meanness of my small self.
 But tonight I notice that what lies within me is a huge disappointment that the fish pie I cooked today for my husband's family was dry, the sauce all split and gone and overwhelmed with more mashed potato than fishy contents. 
They were all sweet and polite and said it tasted good but the point of a pie is its creamy texture as well as flavour.
And then I wonder why instead of remembering the lovely evening in their rare company, and the delight of their little daughter, I choose to feel bad about my fish pie....and in the context of what's really important why am I making that my focus....

 Maybe it's better to focus on a sad fish pie than the other sadness in my life.....or just to love what arises...... and trust it's another house guest sent as a guide from beyond. 

Signing off now for a while....wishing you love and peace this Christmas time.

2 comments:

  1. Darling Trish,

    It was a lovely piexxx Alexandra loves the sticker book, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - makes me feel much better - it was wonderful to see you anyway - much more important! Txxx

    ReplyDelete