Thursday 20 November 2014

Jelly Melon/Legs












I wasn't going to buy this very spiky looking specimen in the farmers' market this morning.  Then I heard the man describing it to another customer who was young and pretty, with an American accent. She bought one. I liked her why not try it? attitude and decided to override my sometimes unadventurous, cautious I might not like it approach and bought one too.

The man said it comes from Africa, grows easily in their poly-tunnel on the farm (deep in Devon) and you cut and eat it like a kiwi fruit.
I google it at home and find out it's called an African Horned Melon or Jelly Melon or Kiwano and is a relative of the cucumber family.
When I cut it -avoiding the lethal spikes -  it releases a faint fresh lemony scent and tastes a of not very much at all. Maybe good in a fruit salad, or as a drink without the pips, but doesn't really make my heart sing. Not a repeat purchase.

On the other hand these slabs of Carrot Cake and Chocolate Almond Brownie which I bought at the Exploding Bakery - after sampling them with some friends last week at The Dark Horse Cafe - I would go miles out of my way to buy again.

We are going to have them for dessert after our supper of spring onion, mushroom, Parmesan  cheese omelette, angular chunks of roasted pumpkin rolled in crushed toasted cumin seeds, whole cherry tomatoes fried in garlic and flat leaf parsley, and a bunch of chopped Russian kale speckled with sesame seeds....not wanting to accuse myself of boring, cautious cookery.

My husband has been out in the tender loving care of friends most of today -  fortunately -  as I've been feeling as spiky and tasteless as a Horned African Melon - my legs and inclination weak as jelly - not wanting to take me on any adventures - let alone up the stairs - one more time.


No comments:

Post a Comment