Monday 17 March 2014

My Lost Valentine


The Birthday cake that didn't need rescuing after all -  Carrot and Walnut and Coconut  - not dry or raw in the middle - studded with juicy golden sultanas ( that I brought back from Portugal) and layered up with orange zested cream cheese frosting - glad I put it in a bigger tin  - even though it took ages to cook.
Thank you Delia Smith and Yottam Ottolenghi  - you don't know it, but the combination of your two Carrot Cake recipes that I fiddled around with, was a great hit with the birthday party guests.


It was a full moon last night. Last full moon was on Valentine's night. ( What's Valentine? asks my husband?) We were in New Zealand and this was the view we had from the restaurant over looking Lake Tekapo with the sun going down .....




and the moon rising. My husband wants to leave after our meal but I want to stay and have a dessert even though it's getting chilly. I like watching the couples having their photos taken with the moon in the background and the children running around and the band playing in the bar next door. So I order a creme brulee with a sour berry compote on the side -  which isn't delicious and doesn't fill the hollow hunger for my lost Valentine.

Three brown envelopes arrive in the post this morning bringing out my nervous dread......although I do hear my sister's voice in my head Don't panic yet. The first is from the DWP ( work and pensions). My fear is that letter will be calling my husband to have another medical and to be reassessed for his benefit....or that he'll lose it and we'll have to go to tribunal again. It isn't that. His benefit has actually gone up by £2 a week because of changes in the system....

The second envelope is from the DVLA. My fear is that my husband will be re-assessed for his driving licence and they won't re-new it. The letter says they are looking into the medical evidence and it could take 12 weeks. I think this means he will have to take a test and he probably won't pass.

The third envelope contains his re-newed licence for another year. Which is a huge relief and makes me  wonder if the people at the DVLA ever talk to each other.

Our lives would change dramatically if my husband couldn't drive any more - a lot of his independence would go..... I'm so grateful for this extension .....but I know we'd still find a way to be when it does happen....there is always a way through....through the fear to the other side..... if you expect miracles.....




2 comments:

  1. Trish your wonderful birthday cake thank you!! I absolutely adored it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved making it for you - is it cooked/isn't it cooked ? all part of the fun! X

    ReplyDelete