Monday 19 August 2013

A Brass Band, A River Walk - A Late Summer Weekend


Military Brass Band playing in the market square in Bridport on Saturday in the pouring rain. I love it that the woman in the front row brought along her baby who slept through all the banging and clashing and trumpeting....


My husband joined in so enthusiastically that the band master asked him to conduct one the numbers which made him a great hit. A great hit for me was the lunch we had afterwards to get out of the rain at Lalu's -  haddock fish cake on watercress with chunky tartar sauce - simple, fresh, generous, good value, good service, good atmosphere - a gem! Oh, and the best warm melting chocolate brownie I can ever remember ....next time I'll have one all to myself instead of sharing it with my husband...


 On Sunday we walked by the coppery brown River Dart, here overhung with oak trees.


A dead branch floating in the shallows.....oak leaves underwater...


The rooty path following the river at New Bridge.


The shady gate we leaned on ...sun shimmering on the weedy field beyond....


Rowan tree - berries bright as a military band uniform jacket....


Back home my husband plays game after game of Sudoku on the computer and I sink into late night  TV watching...two films which he can't follow. We are finding our own separate ways of escaping .....trying to put time on hold till the busyness or emptyness of Monday comes round again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment