Sunday 10 March 2013

Watermelon Baby



Mother’s Day

I wrote this on April 12th 2000.

This afternoon
while the sky rained on the garden
we took root in the red earth sofa,
my beautiful niece and I
hugging cushions and the moment.

I read to her
my last poems.
She read me hers.
I wrote of endings
the end of waiting,
of ovaries dying.

She wrote of small berry breasts
and a watermelon tummy
full of her seeds.

So maybe one day I will be a great-aunt
since I won’t be a great mother.

Just a different ending.
Still full of promise.
For both of us.

And 13 years later, snow flakes falling from a lead sky, I sit on  another sofa - my sister's - next to this beautiful niece - with her baby daughter in my arms..... sweet and heavy as a watermelon. Filling me with seeds of joy.








No comments:

Post a Comment