Wednesday 20 June 2012

Elderflower Nectar and Being on the Sofa


20th June 2012 Wednesday


There are two big bags of lacy pink elderflower heads in the fridge -picked at the allotment on Sunday - waiting for the citric acid so I can make cordial - rose pink nectar, perfume of the gods.
It used to be that clients came to the house to consult my husband on all things financial, green and ethical. He wore smart clothes, made them cups of tea and sat in the biggest chair in the sitting room while they sat on the sofa with all the papers on the table in front of them. He gave them advice and wrote the reports and received the money. And they loved him.
Today it was our turn. A lovely man came from the same company that my husband used to work for. He wore a brown suit, sat in the biggest chair and we sat on the sofa with cups of tea. And he talked to us about our financial situation and if we should start planning for long term care for my husband.....I only cried once and only a little bit. It’s such a relief to have someone else on our case -  mostly for my benefit as my husband understands it all anyway. He just can’t read the papers and the reports and isn’t sure what CGT is.  But he says it’ll all be alright whatever happens. 
After two and a half hours my head is thumping and we escape to Honiton for lunch at The Boston Tea Party. We sit in their sunny garden and dip fat sweet potato chips into a little cup of mayonnaise. Honiton is full of my father. We call in to visit two of his friends - take back some classical music CDs they lent him. They show us the long sloping path up to their front door with a hand rail fixed to the wall. My father was so grateful for the support he said them, “When I’m gone you can call it Merfyn’s Way.” Which they do - and so that’s how they remember him every day.
We drive back to Exeter to start the search for citric acid which has so far been futile. It seems everyone is worshipping at the altar of the elderflower gods this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment