Saturday 18 February 2012

Cooking Me

18th February 2012 Saturday


Keeping busy today keeps me rooted - so when I’m ambushed by tears - cleaning the bathroom, whisking egg whites, watering the plants, talking on the phone, chopping leeks - they don’t stop me..... I just let them come and do the next thing on my list.


The kitchen was a good place for me today - a healing place - often with a wooden spoon in my hand. Stirring up left over butternut squash and cabbage - making bubble and squeak for lunch with slivers of pale brown trout, beating up egg yolks and sugar and folding in glossy dark chocolate for birthday cake, rubbing butter into flour, adding roasted hazelnuts for an apple and apricot crumble, frying onion and garlic for risotto tomorrow. Cooking - bringing me back to myself - mending me.


Now I must check the weather forecast for Liverpool where it could be snowing - going up there tomorrow for two nights with my sister to visit a dear friend. The apple crumble is a gift for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment