Wednesday 1 June 2011

Peacock Shimmering

31st May 2011 Tuesday


While the family queue for pedal boat rides at Woodlands Leisure Park, I take five minutes out and sit alone in the sun on a picnic bench outside a cafe, with a bottle of water, watching the half term holiday world go past. I hear the mournful shriek of a peacock splitting the air long before I see it. Then suddenly it’s walking directly, purposefully, towards my bench trailing long turquoise tail feathers. It stop inches away, turns its back to me and displays, raising the shaking fan of its tail into the sky - a huge shimmering arc of underwater fishes, glinting in the sun. I follow it with my camera and it seems oblivious as I take photo after photo while it preens its glorious sea green feathers and cocks its head - certain sure of its role as king of the park.


I can’t help feeling it chose me today, alone, briefly, at my picnic bench, to say,


Look at you. Let’s see the colors of you. It’s easy - just open your arms. And shimmer. - even when you think you are waiting in the wings.’


No comments:

Post a Comment