Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Soupy Day

Tuesday 5th April


Day 249


Another visit to the vet first thing this morning - to administer the appetite stimulant - a quarter of a tiny pill held in the claw of an applicator. The vet, who looks about twelve years old with the face of a doll, her eyes blue as a clear sky, prises open the pussy cat’s mouth and shoots the pill down his throat before he can blink.


At home he eats more than he has for days. But something is wrong - he is restless and he cries whatever I do to settle him - like a bored toddler he hangs around me in the kitchen - not knowing what he wants. In between cleaning the windows and mowing the lawn, I’m making soups for our Christian Aid lunch tomorrow. One is orangey, smooth and thick - butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot all whirred up with coconut milk and curry spices. The other is bumpy and lumpy with pearl barley and lots of small chopped vegetables, green flecked with watercress and spinach.


Taking the bowl of veggie peelings down to the compost bin at the end of the garden I see how the tiny furled buds of the apple blossom are sprinkled all over the tree like rose pink stars.


My brother- in-law just phoned to say his father died this evening. He said it was a relief and they had time to make their peace in the last few weeks. I'm glad for him.


The pussy cat is calmer tonight, hanging around the patio pots in the dark, mouse watching. Now I’m going to run a bath for my dear husband who has been in London all day and will put his key in the door any minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment