Sunday 1 August 2010

Rice and Roses

Sunday 1st August


Day 102


The rice dish I’m concocting for the birthday party lunch is one I’ve been making for thirty years. I learnt it when I was a cook at Cranks in Dartington. It was on the menu every day, alongside a bowl of green leaves and a third seasonal salad. They called it Macro Rice.


I often fall back on it when inspiration and time are running out. And I can rely on having the ingredients - cooled, cooked brown rice, fried sliced onions, chopped springy parsley all mixed up with a few glugs of tamari soya sauce.


Today I’m tempted to turn it into a jewelled Persian version with cardamon and chopped apricots, cumin and pomegranate seeds. But the clock ticks so I compromise with fresh coriander and a mound of roasted, oiled cashews and almonds in the centre.


Before I leave I cut three borrowed red roses to lay on the white snow dusted lemon cake, with not quite sixty candles round the edges. But I know the dearly loved birthday girl won’t be counting - just making a wish when she cuts the first slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment