Wednesday 3 October 2018

Fireplace and Flies










Writing is slow and inaccurate tonight as I have a sore right index finger....swollen....bulky with a bandage.
Thank goodness my sister is here when the very nice builder comes to measure up the fireplace...for  taking out the ugly 1970s cement and slate one, and getting the aperture ready for the new wood burner stove. Measurements drive me nuts and trying to visualise something without a picture just disorientates me.

I wasn't ever sure about the floating beam idea as a mantle above the fire...and talking it through with my sister and looking at lots of pictures of timber fireplace surrounds I get much clearer about what I want. I book nice builder to do the work in November.

I'm afraid this blog is going to become the story of my house renovations...I'm beginning to bore myself with  the details of it already.

 There is a big fat black fly buzzing around the glass shade of my bedside lamp. Dementing itself with  the brightness.
This afternoon when I was sitting in the sun on my bench the sound of the green/black flies almost drowned out the sound of the stream running behind me...that and the sound of the crows assembling high in the plane tree in the field.

I associate flies with hot tropical holidays...and the Mediterranean ....and my African childhood.
Not with a small village in the green Devon countryside in October.
Another displacement.



No comments:

Post a Comment