Friday 5 October 2018

Ash Dieback and Fireplace Complications

Along with a squirrel and 

the blue tits and sparrows, pigeons and crows, 2 robins,

a cat and a slow worm,

I have a new visitor to the garden. Although I usually see pheasants on the ground I was surprised to see this one perched in my giant European Ash tree.

My brother-in-law thinks the tree may have ash dieback - a fatal disease of the bark and leaves. It can be slow, over several seasons, and the Woodland Trust website says no need to fell it unless it's a danger. 
But I feel quite heartbroken at the thought of losing it. It looked healthy in the summer - see below -  and it could be something else ...or the early signs were there already...... I just didn't recognise them.
Like we didn't recognise the early signs of Robin's disease.


There are complications with the fireplace. It's no longer simple. I have been to fireplace showrooms all over the region...pouring over brochures ....on the phone to supplier and builder.... getting dizzy reading websites.....and all with a time pressure to match the builder's date.

This evening I abandon it, and this constant vague feeling I'm getting it all wrong.... and take a long  exploratory walk all around my new village...and I'll pick up  the mantle again tomorrow when I'm ready for inspiration and kindness to myself.



2 comments:

  1. I think it's been a hard summer for trees- our sycamore tends to show stress in its top leaves in very dry weather, and I'm always worrying about our other big tree (yes, an Ash), so if the tree people say 'no hurry' (advice which surprised me), then see how it fares (fairs?-perhaps not) next spring. Looks like you're building a whole new life there in a short period, Mrs Sage and I send LOTS of positive thoughts to you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU Sage - to you both. Yes I'm hoping that it's the cruel summer too and my lovely trees will survive the winter to see another spring.....me too! I am finding my new life an ordeal at times....so very grateful for all positive thoughts. Xx

    ReplyDelete