Friday 1 June 2018

Exeter Images..... Form Filling...and leaving the roses behind.

Images of Exeter...

the subways under Exe Bridges...

commissioned art....

pussy cat in a hurry....


 The first bridge here was built in  about 1200...
It had 17 arches and a church at either end and 

houses all along it overhanging the river.



This is what it looked like in the 18th century when Exeter was at the centre of the woollen and cloth trade...

 and the remains of it today.

Haberdashery reflections in 

shop windows in 

Fore Street.
The Cathedral

and its spire.

A scholar  outside the Cathedral....renovations and repairs of the  burnt down Randolf Hotel in the background.

Umbrella art in the High Street.

Exotic vegetables in the Turkish Shop in Sidwell Street.

 When I move I will no longer be living in walking distance of the centre of Exeter. But it will always feel like my city.


Today instead of being overwhelmed by having to fill in more forms - this time about my purchase  - I took deep breaths....I sat and read it all.....got up and made tea.....made notes about the questions I couldn't answer.....filled in the easy ones.....went out and cut the grass and cut down the dead bluebells...rang my solicitor's secretary with my queries ....made more tea...filled in the rest of the form....re- read it ....rang the solicitor again with more queries ....she was lovely and helpful and I didn't feel inadequate about not understanding it all.

 Then I wrote the cheque for the Searches .....and made more tea ....and sat for a while watching the rain falling on my new cut grass. I tried to imagine the new family living here.... a child running to the end of the garden next spring to discover the bluebells which will be blooming round the apple tree....  to look up into the trailing white lace of the wisteria....and smell the first red rose in the border by the fence....the one I discovered had flowered today.

We brought  it with us from  our garden in St Albans 15 years ago .... along with lots of other roses...but I think I won't dig it up again and take it with me this time as I know there is a beautiful red rose rambling over the fence in my new garden.

And who knows what other delights to discover that are being left for me there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment