Monday 19 February 2018

Small Mountains and the Elephants






What a tail.....



and you can see why this salix is called pussy willow...in the park on Sunday.


Today the stairs are mountains - 
 air at the summit
is thin.
I need to sit
on the carpet 
 to catch my breath
my legs weak as 
willow twigs.

Maybe it's
last week's virus
hanging around 
in my blood - 
a house guest 
outstaying its 
welcome.

Or maybe it's
the weekend's onslaught
of new grief 
weakening 
my resolve
to leave 
our home
and all my 
safe
anchors.



And then I think about the elephants
and how they never forget.

And how if you think about someone
you have loved and lost
you are already with them.**

A thought which helps me
 scale all my small mountains 
today.



**Thanks to Jodi Picoult in her novel 'Leaving Time' about the plight of the elephants...and how they grieve and how they remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment