Wednesday 14 February 2018

Duck attack....and a surprise Valentine Day's gift.


Yesterday in bitter cold the park is deserted.  Just this pair of peaceful mallard ducks strimming the borders of the pond.


Suddenly there is a  huge squawking and splashing commotion when another male flies in and


dive bombs into their territory.  I'm too far away to see what's happening but it sounds nasty
so I just snap with the camera and 


guess the paired male is defending his mate. But when I download the pictures at home it looks much more disturbing ......


as if they are both attacking the female 



and trying to copulate with her.


When I do some research on google later about the mating habits of mallards, 



I discover that is what happens... they do mate for life but as there are more male than female mallards it is common for many males  - up to 30 at a time - even if they are already paired -  to


violently attack a single female in an attempt to pass on their genes.



Often the females are injured or killed but they can also escape unharmed. I'm so glad this one did in the end.

I know it's a different law in the animal and bird kingdom ...the instinctual  survival of the species ....but I found it horrendous to witness...and it has changed my views about my favourite ducks....it will be hard to take photos of them now without remembering....


Early this morning a man comes and bangs up a  FOR SALE sign in the front garden.

My lovely cleaner hoovers up dust and sparkles away smears.

Two men arrive with long flexible hoses with brushes attached. They wash the highest to reach windows with floods of water and whoosh away the moss dropped by the birds on the plastic kitchen roof.

I scoop up and secrete into cupboards all my personal clutter so that when the man with the scanning camera arrives the house has never looked so clean and tidy. As if no-one lives here at all.

I leave Rachel Jamieson's painting of Robin still hanging  over the mantlepiece in the dining room. I imagine him watching over the crazy proceedings ... and laughing about it all - especially my cleaning obsessions....and I know somehow he'll help me find the right buyers. 



And also help me to let go of our home and all its memories.

 I just have to look at this photo of the stairs and I'm immediately reminded of my beautiful niece, a radiant bride, descending these steps on her wedding day .....followed by her beautiful sister in her cerise bridesmaid dress....their father waiting for them at the front door....


And  late this afternoon, even though the 3D tour of the house isn't ready for the brochure yet, my estate agent emails me to say I have now gone live on Right Move. A surprise Valentine's day gift.

And so the next chapter begins.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete