Thursday 8 February 2018

Daffodil Heart Sick...Plastic Litter...House Panic


I bought daffodils and sweet perfumed narcissi in the farmers' market this morning.  


I heard on the local news this evening that some people have been arrested on a flower farm on the Lizard at the very end of Cornwall  - accused of modern day slavery -  for abusing the people who pick the flowers and letting them live in terrible conditions. I feel heart sick at the human cost of consumers' desire for cheap daffodils. My desire.

I know and trust the woman who grew and picked the daffodils I bought this morning. They are local. But then I might have bought Cornish daffodils in the past believing local is best....now it makes me stop and think.


Every night there is another  news report on the terrible cost of plastic pollution on the environment, especially on the birds and animals.
I'm lucky I can use paper bags to put my muddy vegetables in and of course, like everyone else, I re-cycle my plastic. And now I think much more seriously  about buying anything wrapped in plastic.  But I'm not rigorous about it. 



I'm very inspired by my sister who goes for a walk every day, rain or shine, in the country lanes around their farm in Somerset and picks up an amazing amount of litter and plastic and rubbish in the ditches and hedges and fields.



Some days there is so much that she has to go back in the car to collect it and 
and bring it home for her own re-cycling bin.

In the overwhelming task of how to make a difference to a global problem she is a perfect example of doing what you can on your  own doorstep....and inspiring other people to do what they can on their own local doorsteps.



Today I go with my gut instinct and choose to sell our house with a lovely estate agent who came to see me today ...who is totally trustworthy and sensible and experienced....who didn't over-value or undervalue the house. And he is a friend who used to sing in the same choir as Robin.

To get good photographs for the brochure....which is the most urgent and time sensitive thing..... there is a lot of work I need to do - especially in the garden - and the weather is not looking bright in the next few days. Reading through all the paperwork ....to understand and sign forms and questionnaires before anything can happen.... is daunting. I feel a bit panicky and overwhelmed ...especially when I'm tired.

So whenever I notice I'm feeling that scared I chant to myself the affirmations I learnt doing the Louise Hay course.

I have all the time I need.
Everything happens in the perfect time, place and sequence.
I am totally adequate for all situations.
It's only change.
I am safe and life supports me in every possible way.

And then I find I can breathe more easily. 




No comments:

Post a Comment