Thursday 14 December 2017

I have cried for him....


Three shells...


three sisters...


I was always lagging behind them...taking photos...running to catch up...like I've always been since I was 2 years old..
 "Wait for me ....I'm not ready.."


 But they encouraged me, my big sisters, to climb the lemon tree that I did last year....free lemons for us all...well, scrumped lemons...although because of the drought this summer they were small and hard. And I didn't climb as high.....not confident in my flip flops....


Lantana - the  fragrant bush of our African childhood. Crush a leaf and we are all instantly transported to the back garden of our home in Lusaka and the lantana hedge running all long one  border of our property. 



We only saw graffiti occasionally... this one unusually painted into the cliffs ...don't know what this means.


Approaching Alvor from the river estuary



and past a wonderful collection of stone shrines that people had constructed along the path.





In the town where we found our favourite Italian restaurant which we re-visted several times.


One Sunday we drove out with our Portuguese friends.  Starting at one of the highest points in the Algarve - the weather station at Monchique. I took these wind turbines for Robin because he loved them....and I always remember his passion for saving the environment when I see them....and remember the good things about him.



Followed by a picnic on these rocks ....watching the fishermen...


a walk along this beach...


watching the surfers...


And an evening stroll in the busy marina at Portimao


avoiding the holiday makers and loud  music


we crossed the bridge and had hot chocolate and cakes in a quiet cafe.


One evening we looked up from reading our books on the terrace as we heard a small plane and saw this message being pulled though the sky behind it.

Vera will you marry me?


I hope she said yes.



Today

The dining room table is covered with lists and Christmas cards. Some of our friends I only write to   once a year so I've been wondering how to sum up my year, 14 months into grieving for Robin,  inside a card...too difficult...so I may just say I'm OK but I'm also not OK....not myself but also finding another self I didn't know was there....

Fourteen Months On

I have used up
and thrown away 
a forest of tissues.

I have wept for him
on the tiles of my kitchen floor.

In the cooling water of the bath.

At restaurant tables
holding the hands of my friends.

On a massage couch
tears in my ears.

On a mattress
 on wooden floor boards
beating a cushion.

On a single bed in Fiji
cradled by my sisters.

I have howled for him
in a double bed in Portugal
alone.

And at his graveside
in the wind.

I have tortured myself
with regrets.

And with yearning for one more day 
one more smile
one more breath
on my cheek.

I have drunk too much wine
and not enough soup.

I have held on
tight
till my gut
is twisted with
pain.

The truth of 
digesting
he's gone.

I have cried for him.
And for myself.

But I have also laughed
and let go 
a little bit.

So now
fourteen months on
 I can laugh
without 
feeling the guilt 
of
I'm still here and he isn't.

And I can cry 
without hurting myself 
with if only...

Now
when I weep
it's clean
and
unfettered
because 
I miss him
in 
my heart.



4 comments:

  1. So glad to discover that the bush we keep seeing in Greece and can't identify is Lantana.
    Lovely picture of you at the end of the post.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to be of help dear B! And thanks for the compliment. x

      Delete
  2. Thanks dear Dee -so lovely to have you reading my blog from your new home. Missing you. X

    ReplyDelete