Friday 6 October 2017

Ash in the Wind....The Love That Never Dies


My sister lays a fire in the field at their farm and I drive over with four heavy black bin bags


stuffed with all the financial papers I've been sorting and clearing out of Robin's office.


We start chucking them into the flames which


 burn hotter and hotter as they consume more and more bank statements and tax returns and cheque books from the last seven years. Each one representing all that money earned and spent and saved and all Robin's hard work and energy....ash in the wind now.


This sweet robin watches us from his perch in a tree at the edge of the field. I like to think he's giving me his stamp of approval.

When there is only carbon and white ash remaining we leave the smouldering heap


and return to the house to cool down. We sit in late afternoon sun sipping glasses of  fizzy water poured over ice cubes



and fresh mint leaves picked from the bed of herbs in the kitchen garden. Better than G&T.

Although I drive away with my hands stiff from feeding the fire, my hair and my clothes reeking of smoke, I feel lighter and clearer. Another ending ....making space for I don't know what ...but space anyway.


Later at home, when I go out into the garden to pick up the fallen apples on the grass, this constant robin flies down


from the rose bush still rambling over the fence, and stays near me on the path for a little while - long enough for me to fetch the camera....reminding me....blessing me with the Love that never dies.



 And another blessing - the sunset tonight....



a fire in the sky....burning up the day.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I wish I could talk about my emotions like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I read your emotions in your writing every time....often underlying sad...truthful....humorous...and brave. Your way.....perfect.X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say except thank you. I shall carry on writing . . . Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes always write....if you can.....you do it beautifully...X

    ReplyDelete