Wednesday 2 August 2017

Empty Arms


We are sitting on a mattress
on the polished wood floor
my therapist 
and I.

A pot of sage tea
a box of tissues
my back against 
the warm
radiator.
The wind
shaking 
 the window frames.

And now my cold has 
travelled to my chest.
 Breath shallow, 
constricted
a constant 
cough
irritates.

The twin wings of the 
lungs -
pocketing  
grief
and 
rage 
both.


She hands me
a cushion
big and soft and creamy white 
big enough 
to envelop in my arms
against 
the whole of my
aching 
chest.

She says,
Imagine this is Robin.
Hold him tight
As tight as you can.
I am going to 
try and take him from you.

She is strong
I am stronger.
A cushion vice.

The NO
 when it comes
from some  deep
primal
cavern
inside me
is
a lioness
howling
in the night
for her 
lost cub.

NO you can't go.
Don't leave me.
You can't go.

She pulls and yanks at the corner of the cushion
No you can't have him.
No 
No 
No.

My whole body,
a weeping coracle, 
covers 
him.
Holding on 
to my life.
 No, it's not true.
He isn't gone.

Look, I'm holding on
tight 
tight 
tight
to this big warm soft
thing
in my arms.
He must still be here.

I don't want to leave you,
he says.
 But let me go
now.

And so
 in the
deadly deep
 of the cavern
the cord 
loosens.

Slowly
slowly
she 
pulls 
him
from 
the 
tightness
of my
arms.

Till I'm empty.

And the nothingness
in my arms
breaks
me.

 So this is what it is
to have 
 had and to hold
till
 death us do part.

And to hold on to 
nothing
so tightly
is another kind 
of dying.



No comments:

Post a Comment