Tuesday 11 July 2017

In My Dream....











I came looking for you in my dream.
I found the bed you had been sleeping in.
But you were gone.
They told me, the settlers, the pioneers who had been looking after you
that you had survived the massacre.
You had escaped with a young child 
so you were both alive
somewhere.

In the crumpled sheets of the bed 
I found a photograph
of you in a frame.
The black and white one you used to keep on your desk
of you as a toddler
with your quiff of curls
and chubby cheeks
and your bright round eyes 
and your sweet 
sweet smile.
You were laughing in that photo
your baby laugh.

All your innocence and
joy
 collected
in that laugh
in that one 
bright moment
long before 
you knew
 what was to come.

And I rescue this photo
from the crumpled sheets
all that is left of you.
Before they return 
and burn everything.

I carry this dream to my therapist.
And we tug it apart
its skeins of meaning
offered up from the
wisdom of the one
who showed it to me
in the night.

Till in the end 
I see that it is not you who is still alive
but it is the courage and
the  innocence 
and the joy 
in the child that you
rescued
that is still alive.

And it could be alive in me. 
In some
 bright moment
yet to come.

Your eternal gift 
to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment