Thursday 20 July 2017

In Denial.


My head knows it's true.


Here are the words. On a brass plaque. 
The nails rusting.
The wood cracking.
So it's not a new cross.
But it is a recent fact.
9 months old.

The grass is growing in the red clay
where his body is
buried
below the roses
I placed there 
today.
So I can touch 
and see
and smell
the truth 
that he is gone.
I hear it with my knowing 
head.



My heart on the other hand
is a skittering butterfly
dragging a ripped wing
 of torn silk
in a frenzy of searching 
for him
somewhere
anywhere
beyond
the truth.
Drowning
spluttering 
in the 
wound
of 
he 
really 
is
gone.



But my gut
held in that deep bowl of
 bone
of
 intuition 
is telling me 
another
truth.
And it has been warning me for weeks now.
Cramping
griping
holding on
to the 
shock
re-verberating
in each cell,
exploding
leaking
letting go,
in a rage of
NO. 
It
won't 
digest 
the fact 
that 
he 
is 
gone.


At least I know now
and it is a 
relief
to admit it.
I'm in denial.
My head
 knows it's true
my heart
 is a suppurating lake
but
 my gut
doesn't believe it.

 And with good reason,
but not a rational one.

Why would I want to 
assimilate
an unbearable
truth?

You can't fly 
with 
only 
one
tattered 
wing.







No comments:

Post a Comment