Tuesday 18 July 2017

Drinking The Poison




















                                     

"The forgetting
is difficult.

The remembering,
worse."

 by Peter Mc Williams. From How to Survive the Loss of a Love.

'Tell me about it. All of it,''
she says
this new person who doesn't know me.
this grief counsellor
sitting in the comfy chair 
opposite me
in a high ceiling room
which smells a bit musty.

I show her a photo of Robin.
Her face colours
her eyes well up
''But I know him'', 
she says
''we made ceramics
in the same class''
A lovely man.''

So now it's easy
to tell her the
details
 of the disease
of how it was
to drive him
to feed him
to wash him
to undress
and to dress him
over and over again. 
And to 
love him 
and to 
loathe
the drenching
demand
of caring 
so much.

But it's not easy 
to tell her about 
that last day
when I didn't 
know
it 
was 
the 
last
day.

And then the next day
which was even worse.

The voice on the phone
I didn't know
which rang beside me
 in my bed
at 7.35am
while I was writing an email
to the MND nurse
saying that
he was slipping sideways
in the car seat
and maybe it was time 
to buy a car 
that you could put a wheelchair in.
So I could still
take him out
which is all he wanted to do.

But it was too late.

This is the day
that
I re-live
over 
and 
over.
In surround-a-sound
technicolour.

Drinking the poison
that doesn't quite
kill me.

She says she can help me with that.
To remember 
without 
hurting myself.


Yesterday at the Killerton Estate with my brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment