Monday 24 July 2017

Courgettes and Jam and Suitcases


My next door neighbour keeps giving me wonderful courgettes from their allotment. And as I'm not eating many vegetables at the moment because of my dodgy gut I made her a courgette cake to say thank you. Based on Nigella Lawson's recipe -  Flora's Famous Courgette Cake - I leave out the raisins and add lemon and lime zest instead and use a jar of lemon curd for the filling.




I also made jam for her out of the black currants she gave me. Supplemented by a box of them still in the freezer that Robin picked 2 years ago...or more probably. There wasn't quite enough to fill the last jar so I'll keep this one.




I sometimes get the Guardian free from Waitrose on a Saturday but I hardly ever get through it. I can't stomach the news at the moment.


First ripe apple on our tree.


The buddliea is nearly over. I've been picking it and filling a big brass jug of their curving stems for the kitchen table....depriving the butterflies but filling the air inside with its summer perfume.


I've been shopping today - buying things for my trip to Fiji with my sisters later next month. I keep buying mistakes though that I have to return....like suitcases. A pink one, a turquoise one.

The sales are on which I find curiously magnetic -  encouraging me to think I need things I definitely don't.....but maybe I don't have to be sensible all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment